Sunday, May 10, 2009

Grad School!!

So, I think I found where I want to attend Grad School!!! It's in a little city called London, England. :)

The name of the place is Goldsmiths, London University (which means it's in a sub-college of the University of London).

Listen to what it says online about their Masters in Anthropology program:

Are you interested in a career in anthropology, but haven’t studied the subject before? Have you studied anthropology in the past, but need to consolidate this experience before moving into anthropological research? This MA offers students from all disciplinary backgrounds the opportunity to build a solid base in social anthropology, its theoretical foundations, methodology and ethnographic diversity.


Um.... did they write that SPECIFICALLY for me!?!?! It felt like it as I started reading it last night! Wowzers.

If I go full time, the program will only take a year. Even bigger wowzers!

And, as I thought about this last night, I think I realized two areas that I would like to specialize in: "Greek mythology and it's impact on social ethics, religion, and morality in modern culture", and "American media influences on society and government."

I woke up thinking about then Greek Mythology this morning. My main thought is that most western religions deal with moral "rights" and "wrongs", and God is meant to serve as a moral compass. But, one of the earliest civilized cultures on our planet did not us the idea of God in the same way. The Greek Gods killed, were adulterous, and drank way too much. I think we see some impact from that culture on today's society. As people move away from traditional theory's and beliefs in God, we can see more of the Greek ideologies taking hold in our culture. Obviously, I haven't done any research or anything, but that was my idea.

As for the American media idea, I really do think that television and other media influence shape our culture and government more than we realize. I was watching something on the history channel yesterday: while the US never really lost a battle in Vietnam, we lost the war because of the American people's perception on the war and all of the protests over here. Another thought that I think has some real bearing: On the tv show "24", President Palmer, a black man, was a strong, intelligent, moral, and wonderful President of the United States. I believe that he paved the path for a black man to become President. People saw that Palmer was a wonderful President, and I think they associate him with Barrack Obama. Just a thought. :)

Here are some pictures of Goldsmiths campus:








4 comments:

Kimbo said...

This is so you. I agree it's almost like it was written for you. What a lovely looking school it looks like too. I'm so glad you're looking in the grad school direction :) Can I tell you how proud I am of you for these updated posts. I just love it.
p.s. I last minute decided to drive to Dallas to surprise mom for mothers day. Just me and Harley and I was jamming Bon Jovi on the ride down. Made me think of you. I sang extra loud just for you :)
p.p.s. The parentals always ask how you're doing and they wanted me to tell you that they love you!

Allison said...

This is soo awesome! I think this is a once in a lifetime opportunity that you just can't pass up!! I'm proud of you too! Keep us posted on this grad school option!

Joanie Wolfgramm said...

umm... is this Kelsey Reynold's blog??? Did NOT know you were into Greek Mythology and anthropology! haha. That's awesome! If you go to school in London I'm coming to visit you!!! Love ya Kels!

Brynnly and Alan said...

Kel's that is awesome! You should totally do it!

 
K-Rey - Free Blogger Templates, Free Wordpress Themes - by Templates para novo blogger HD TV Watch Shows Online. Unblock through myspace proxy unblock, Songs by Christian Guitar Chords